Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WAR 1 V.3 internal netwoek questions.
pananix Wrote:I have a resort hotel that has an Asterisk server at their site, plus one at my site where I terminate an E-1 for them. They have almost as many simultaneous calls as you are talking, plus outging Internet traffic through another 2Mb frame relay. Their voice quality is incredible -- beautiful. Now, I am using trunking via IAX2 which minimized bandwidth usage. But there are calculators out there to tell you how much bandwidth a given voice algorithm (like ulaw) will use. Your throughput will be well in excess of that. You just need to limit all non-voice (SIP/H323/whatever) so that it can't interfere. If your throughput tests show 20Mb, then restrict non-voice traffic to 10Mb. Should not be a problem. And you should be able to control jitter to a degree.

David-

Thank you for this much welcome information.
The phones are Polycom and the system is Asterisk so your info is right on target and just what I was looking for.
Thank you,

An older and now wiser David !
Dave
<
@)
(Cooter>>
^^^^^^^^^^
Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

I recently did a setup for a property management company for their video surveillance system. The IP camera server generate a 1.5Mbit stream to the central server that records the video from the 4 cameras attached to it. We used 11a on a WAR4 metro AP with WAR1 clients all fully routed. Signal levels were kept in the -60 to -70 range to all the unit. However we found that the moment we put more than 2 camera feeds onto one of the 11a APs we would start losing the connection to all 3 cameras. 2 cameras worked just fine, but the 3rd or 4th camera added would spell disaster for all them on that sector.

We ended up putting up another WAR4 and more sectors to keep the camera load down to 2 per sector and went to 2x cloaking. Once we did this everything worked just fine. I still do not know the reason for this, it certainly wasn’t the total bandwidth, and it shouldn’t have been the number of packets since the camera servers stream 1500 byte packets.

We have links doing 10 times the throughput that these needed, and yet 2 cameras was the limit. The link quality on both ends of these links would stay at (or very near) 100% the entire time, but the data flow from each camera would start jumping up and down at random once the 3rd camera server was added. We could still ping the remote WAR1s with no losses, but the video equipment was failing on the connection.

So, be prepared to put multiple sectors up, keep the number of clients per sector way down, and you should be OK for almost anything they throw at it. I would also put bandwidth shaping in place to limit the computer traffic per sector to say 10Mbits and that way you shouldn’t have to worry about the VOIP load. With VOIP, you really, really want to use the Super G features. If you can, try to set up the VOIP equipment to send fewer larger packets instead of so many small packets. The default on a lot of it is a packet every 10ms, but you can usually change that setting. Most will allow a setting of 60ms, some will go to 100ms. That combined with the QOS should work fine on wireless.