Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radios going on M1208s
We've noticed an increased number of M1208s radios going randomly -- ie the transmitter goes out on it. We're using all the standard gear that comes with the device (ie POE, PS etc) along with keystone jacks with def power setting. Noticed 5 out of the 20 that we've purchased have gone so far and it's getting a bit frustrating. Are we doing anything wrong as we're just using the gear included with the device without any extra grounding or any other bells/whistels.
Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Rich
We got same issue,

1 out of 5 are gone. Since first order we had 9 failing units out of 50 ordered. ONLY THE TRANSMITTER IS FAILING. The signal detected by a problematic unit is as strong as normal units but on the AP we receive very low or no signal at all. Same config after swaping radio card we got a strong signal both side. It is difficult for tech guys who get strong signal on survey but have to open the unit and replace the Minipci. These unit cannot be send RMA because they are now opened.

For the price and time delay we just unsoldered the minipci and replace it for a new one. I never mentionned that because It could be only a bad batch. Now that somebody mentionned that i follow.

However, we never got this high rate of failiure with bareboard WAR1 + WLM54G kit Valemount.

thanks,

Louis
Same thing here.
I just cracked one open and replaced the card.
Never did like the BG cards anyways.
I prefer the AG cards.
Rather than doing an rma, maybe the Lucaya guys can just send replacement cards.
sligbot Wrote:We've noticed an increased number of M1208s radios going randomly -- ie the transmitter goes out on it. We're using all the standard gear that comes with the device (ie POE, PS etc) along with keystone jacks with def power setting. Noticed 5 out of the 20 that we've purchased have gone so far and it's getting a bit frustrating. Are we doing anything wrong as we're just using the gear included with the device without any extra grounding or any other bells/whistels.
Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Rich

You might want to try some of these cards again with the power set to anything but def , as "I believe Tony posted that back a while ago."
Some radios are defaulted differently and if you set it you will be assured it is where you want it.
Also make sure they are on the proper port physically and software.
I sware I got a batch of BG's that were ported backwards or something.
They came through Valemount supply channels I believe but because I went through a reseller I cannot be sure.
Remember they will rec on either but only xmitt on the selected port.
This is for newer folks and if you have done exhaustive testing This nugget is not for you!Smile
Dave
<
@)
(Cooter>>
^^^^^^^^^^
Vrablic

"I have no excuses, Just reasons"

I just received 10, have deployed 5 and all were fine. But I made sure to set antenna B and set transmit at 20, not "def". Are these failing after install or they are "failed" out of the box?

After having a ridiculous failure rate for the Engenius EOC-3220 series of radios (installed as per spec, including grounding the POE injector) I sure hope I'm not going to go through this again, so far pretty happy with the M1208, only complaint is lack of a DHCP server but I understand memory is tight..

I had something to say about the other CPE I'm testing but it seems to have been erased from my memory.. strange..
I'm glad this is not just me as I kept quiet a while. I have deployed I think about 100 of the 1208's but have only seen this on a few of them. One in my most recent orders had this problem. I figured it was a pigtail but did not want to violate anything and open the unit.

What should we do? Hopefully Lonnie or someone will comment?

|

Mark, what's wrong with using DHCP Auto-auth?
10 here all superb, (horizontal part will be a prob later but the boards were excellent for the task)
I'm not really a fan of investing in FedEx and UPS, so I tend to not ship inexpensive gear back and forth. I'd rather tear into it and fix the problem myself if I can.
Concerning the units that the cards don't show up or if it's a flaky card, which I've seen from time to time on the BG only cards, I tore into one of the units today and replaced the card with an AG card. Problem solved.

For the fun of it, I configured the m1208 to A, 5 gig, and used the internal antenna,
Presto, worked fine. I tested it off a micro pop that has a 5 gig omni, a few hundred feet away from inside my van holding it up facing the omni through the windshield and ran a continuous through put test.
Was full speed signal was in 50's both sides, quality stayed at about 100% while running the throughput test.

Hopefully the Lucaya guys read this.
I just checked with some of my techs, and they've told me that they've configured the models in both the 'def' mode for power settings and set the power to 18, just to be safe. We REALLY like this model and want to standardize 100% of our installs to it by using a jumper with it connected to a high gain antenna but it's not winning a fan out of us quite yet. I'll let the guys know that we need to set them to a power setting of 20 and see if the failure rate drops. It's just kinda frustrating having to send techs out for an hour drive to customers in order to swap out something that we think shouldn't fail. If anyone has any more suggestions has to how we might decrease our failure rate, again, much appreciated.

Rich
Are you using shielded cat5 grounded at the bottom? This is static season and whether you think it should fail or not has little to do with the issue of static and surges.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trnzeo TR-CPQ radios have temperature issues. (for me in my network) Skaught 15 5,104 02-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Last Post: rafamous