Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radios going on M1208s
Static is a very good point we'll look at this.

However why could, for an identical setup: same cable, same antenna (rootenna for h-pol + long distance), same environmental conditions, the WAR1 bare + WLM54G kit never get that high failiure rate ?Only 1 card over 75 for WAR1kit + WLM54G.

thank you very much,

Louis
Yes, we're attributing things to static right now but skyclimber has a good point. We also have noticed a highly increased percentage of radios malfunctioning in the M1208 compared to the average number of units in the field (several hundred) of combo units of scepter boxes along with standard Lucaya metal enclosures.

We do use a mix of shielded and unshielded outdoor cable in our installs, due to obvious cost differences. We've had 1 arrive as what appeared to be DOA but swapped the radio out with another one that worked as the cost difference was almost nothing.

Lonnie, would you suggest that going with all shielded cabling would significantly reduce these kind of issues? I'm open to going that way but would also like to hear confirmation that this suggestion would address the issue.

Rich
Every one of my radio's is pre-programed the day before it goes in the field. This way they are tested before they end up on a roof or up in a tree. So my experience is radio's having this problem right out of the box.

lonnie Wrote:Are you using shielded cat5 grounded at the bottom? This is static season and whether you think it should fail or not has little to do with the issue of static and surges.
Exactly, it is what I seeing now. The first batch of M1208: 3 good, 1 fail after upgrade firmware( I do it carefully), 1 does not detect the wireless card. Of three already installed one randomly disconnects. I will stay with the M1214 and M1210(few bucks make difference).
My 2 cents.
The Rootenna has a metal mounting, so maybe it helps to bleed things off.

skyclimber Wrote:Static is a very good point we'll look at this.

However why could, for an identical setup: same cable, same antenna (rootenna for h-pol + long distance), same environmental conditions, the WAR1 bare + WLM54G kit never get that high failiure rate ?Only 1 card over 75 for WAR1kit + WLM54G.

thank you very much,

Louis
There is a reason that almost all outdoor cable is shielded. I consider it essential. Sure it costs more but it is worth it.

sligbot Wrote:Yes, we're attributing things to static right now but skyclimber has a good point. We also have noticed a highly increased percentage of radios malfunctioning in the M1208 compared to the average number of units in the field (several hundred) of combo units of scepter boxes along with standard Lucaya metal enclosures.

We do use a mix of shielded and unshielded outdoor cable in our installs, due to obvious cost differences. We've had 1 arrive as what appeared to be DOA but swapped the radio out with another one that worked as the cost difference was almost nothing.

Lonnie, would you suggest that going with all shielded cabling would significantly reduce these kind of issues? I'm open to going that way but would also like to hear confirmation that this suggestion would address the issue.

Rich
We fit M1208 inside the rootenna for mounting it H-Pol. Then could it be the plastic enclosure of M1208 isolating static from going outside ?
skyclimber Wrote:We fit M1208 inside the rootenna for mounting it H-Pol.

That's pretty creative, but why wouldn't you just use the M1214 which from what I've been told, mounts horizontally by itself and looks like it's a nice aluminum enclosure? (Which should help with static...)

It looks like the M1214 is about $20 more than the M1208 but it costs me more than $20 for a roo Smile

We just ordered our first batch of M1214s to try them out, we have traditionally used WAR1s inside rootennas that we assemble ourselves.
StarOS Community Wiki: http://staros.tog.net/
thanks TOG,

We'll try M1214. We ordered 70 M1208 this month. We had hundred rootenna in stock. Roo have also 1dB higher gain.
Well I just confirmed with my tech guys that about 50% of the issues occurred with radios that had shielded cable run to them and 50% had standard outdoor C5. So I think it's safe to say that running exclusively shielded cable still does not fully address the issue. I'm attributing it to static discharge and, as Tog pointed out, the metal shielding on the M1214 -- of which we've deployed significant numbers without the same issues -- probably does a good job at providing sufficient shielding to explain the numbers.
I guess we'll just have to bite the bullet and expect a higher mean time before failure with the 1208's.

Rich

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trnzeo TR-CPQ radios have temperature issues. (for me in my network) Skaught 15 5,104 02-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Last Post: rafamous