Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admin'ing Client's Router
Hi. Our network is 49 Towers, all routed, and ~1300 CPE's (all StarOS) plus a some Canopy 900Mhz SM's. Our standard CPE setup is to NAT at the CPE, with 192.168.100.x numbers handed out on the Ethernet side to the customer's router/computer. The Canopy SM's are different - they are Bridges, but we still hand out IP's and still CBQ from the StarOS AP that they are Ethernet'd to.

From an Admin/Diagnostics standpoint, our standard policy is that our network stops at the demarc point of our radio gear, and that the customer's nework starts with that Ethernet cable, and their router, computer, etc.

However, it's become apparent that in some cases, we'd like to be able to administer the client's router for them. We often get asked if we can log in and change settings for them, and in our standard setup, we can't really do that.

So, we are not really wanting to change the stardard setup or the NATing, that works fine for us. But, we are thinking that it would be good for certain customers if we could setup their routers for Administration on the WAN/Internet port, and if we could maybe... VDS... into it? Their router would normally have fetched a 192.168.100.1 number on it's WAN/Internet port from the WAR board, so we can't normally get into it, and our network is 10.x.x.x

So, what I'm thinking is that when I have a customer that wants us to administer their router, if I could log into their WAR board and create a VDS back to a server on our side, and somehow bridge a 192.168.100.x number from here. We do VDS's a number of other places to tunnel people a public/static IP, but this is different and more confusing, so I don't want to mess things up (or start having his router hand out numbers to other clients for some reason...)

So, looking for ideas/recommendations on how to accomplish this?
Is there a fundamental policy reason why you wouldn't just go with the port forward from your admin IP(s) and directly manage the router at the NAT'd address? Seems like the easier technical solution to me.
Wiki: http://staros.tog.net/wiki/Main_Page

Why not share some of your knowledge with the community?
[url=http://forums.star-os.com/showthread.php?t=7325][/url]
I agree, just punch needed ports via port forwarding to their router (port 80?) and you are done. It should be one line of code if I remember correctly.
Ljubomir Ljubojevic - Love is in the Air
Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your trusty Spiderman...
StarOS and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
Powerful Starv3 manipulation tool - StarV3 Multipractik for Linux

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Router Board 112 rbolduc 4 3,954 04-17-2008, 04:25 AM
Last Post: rbolduc
  Installing a client with a meter? Premier 2 2,864 08-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Last Post: David L. Vrablic
  CHEAP 2.4GHZ Access point that supports client mode theo 21 8,023 05-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Last Post: DrLove73
  Client routers after bridge CPE, What works and what doesn't gunther_01 11 5,105 12-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Last Post: gunther_01
  WAP54G client needs reboot to associate after STAR-OS changes dgj 1 1,963 05-23-2005, 03:28 AM
Last Post: titan_wireless
  Client units (Linksys) compatible with Star-OS AP? dgj 4 2,888 04-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Last Post: billr
  client authentication methods/pppoe Anonymous 7 3,543 05-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Last Post: monkeyboy